The Ministry for Primary Industries are pleased to announce that applications for the 2023 MPI Postgraduate Science Scholarships have opened to Master’s and PhD candidates from New Zealand universities. These scholarships are for candidates planning to study (or currently studying) a wide range of fields relevant to the primary sector, including (but not limited to) economics, physical or social sciences and Mātauranga Māori.
The scholarship scheme is aimed at building science, technology and cultural capability within the primary industries and provides a gateway into a career using evidence to improve the primary sector.
Each recipient receives a prize combining a financial contribution towards their study and a professional development package, including the benefit of an MPI mentor for the duration of their study and other professional development opportunities. The value of each MSc scholarship is $12,000 over 2 years and the value of each PhD scholarship is $50,000 over 3.5 years.
Key timeframes for the 2023 MPI Postgraduate Science Scholarships:
- February 10 2023 – applications open
- March 11 2023 – applications close
- April 2023 – interviews with shortlisted candidates
- May 2023 - announcement of successful candidates
To be eligible, applicants must:
- propose research that is relevant and meets a priority need for MPI or the primary industries. The application form shows specific priority areas.
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be enrolled or intending to enrol for a master’s or PhD at a New Zealand tertiary education institution
- have a supervisor who holds a position at a New Zealand tertiary education institution.
To apply, or for more information, please click here.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, check out MPIs's website or send an email to the Science@mpi.govt.nz inbox with “MPI Postgraduate Scholarship Query” in the subject line.